Prev: Re: Tank vision systems Next: Re: 4th Heavy Beams

RE: Tank vision systems

From: Mike Wikan <MWikan@m...>
Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2000 15:03:29 -0800
Subject: RE: Tank vision systems

An interesting topic. What you are referring to is "Situational
Awareness"
(or, SA). the fact is that sensors are not yet as good as being able to
pop
your head up and look around. Sensors don't give you the "feel" of your
environment in the same way that human senses do. They are a critical
tool
for allowing you to narrow your focus and attack, but by themselves they
will get you killed. The Israelis, US, and WWII German tankers all
constantly fought unbuttoned so that they had less chance of being
blindsided.

When you are in a big steel can like an M1 (and I've driven m48s,
m60a1s,
Sheridans and M1s) it is VERY different from having a look about with
your
Mk1 eyeball. Get ya killed quick if you don't have excellent SA