Prev: Sensors Next: RE: Tank vision systems

Re: Tank vision systems

From: "Laserlight" <laserlight@q...>
Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2000 17:59:59 -0500
Subject: Re: Tank vision systems

>Today a tank commander has much of this available sitting in
his seat  -  yet
>Israeli tank doctrine can get a tank commander FIRED from his
job if he
>buttons up OTHER than under artillery fire - Why because the
tank commander
>buttoned is the tank commander blinded to the all around
situation. US
>doctrine also calls for staying "heads uo" in combat.
Why?????????? Because
>we have the best tank to tank kill ratio (us and the
Israeli's ) of any
>nation around.

Doctinre calls for staying unbuttoned because we have the best
kill ratio?  Your logic is missing a beat here.  And don't the
Israeli's also have the highest loss rate of tank commanders?

In any event, we are NOT talking about TODAY--at least the
Pro-Sensors side is not--we're talking about Two Hundred Years
>From Now.  If you have good sensors--Virtual Reality here!--why
in heaven's name would you want to put your head out of the
tank?  There's nothing mystical about the Mk 1 Eyeball.  Sure,
you can blind any other sensor if you put your mind to it--so
what?  A quick hit with a laser will blind your tanker just as
thoroughly.

Prev: Sensors Next: RE: Tank vision systems