Prev: Re: SG II Paradrop, orbital drop Next: Re: M113 APCs and Things

Re: Rifle types

From: Ryan M Gill <monty@a...>
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2000 14:16:05 -0500 (EST)
Subject: Re: Rifle types

On Thu, 27 Jan 2000 RWHofrich@aol.com wrote:

> Back in Basic Training in '82, the close combat instructors mentioned
that if
> we butt stroked with the M-16A1, we might end up with the most
expensive
> clubs in the world.  They recommend the use of the entrenching tool
for that
> sort of stuff...

That is the reason the M16s are termed the Fisher Price Rifle.

> Since MOST militia are assumed to be troops that don't get to use
firearms
> much, I think it is their competency with the weapons that limits
militia
> range more so than the equipment.  I generally don't call folks that
are used
> to firearms (and really good at using them) militia in game terms, no
matter
> what their "actual" title.

Ahh, So yokals with their long rifles out on the plains of New Dresden
should expect to not be termed as militia by the FSE forces when they
show. I can deal with that...

> I do have to mention that the .303 volley fire was generally against
troops
> in what would now be considered pretty close formation, so I'm not
sure that
> you could call it the equivalent of an MG.  Modern formations are much
more

Well, it had a beaten zone just like MG fire does. MG fire was also used

in that form for the better half of this century at long range. Ever
hear
about the use of the MG company at the Somme, 1,000,000 rounds of ammo
for 10 hours, by 10 MGs. Thats a lot of ammo, barrel changes and water
for the cooling jackets...

> dispersed and a volley fired by BA-armed troops 1200 meters away will
tend to
> be pretty ineffective, I think--though it might make a fellow keep his
head
> down.

True, it all depends on the situation and terrian. True.

> And the M-16A2 is supposedly not bad in the long range accuracy
department
> (well, 800 yards anyway) either.  I can't say from personal
experience, as
> mine is limited to the A1 (with which I averaged better than 90% in
the black
> at 500 yards on the Marine rifle range).

But what sort of energy does the round retain at the end of that 800
yards. Probably not much.

- Ryan Montieth Gill	  NRA / DoD# 0780 (Smug #1) / AMA / SOHC -
- ryan.gill@turner.com	    I speak not for CNN, nor they for me -
- rmgill@mindspring.com 	     www.mindspring.com/~rmgill/ -
- '85 Honda CB700S  -  '72 Honda CB750K  - '76 Chevy MonteCarlo  -

Prev: Re: SG II Paradrop, orbital drop Next: Re: M113 APCs and Things