Prev: Re: [FMA] [Jon ?] Close combat weapons - two systems ? Next: Re: M113 APC?

Re: Rifle types

From: RWHofrich@a...
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2000 06:41:02 EST
Subject: Re: Rifle types

In a message dated 1/26/00 8:17:08 PM Eastern Standard Time,
monty@arcadia.turner.com writes:

> Ever butstroke someone with the AR? Don't do it too hard. There's a
>  fellow on the Enfield list, he was in the military from the use of
the
>  Enfield, through the Change from the .303 bren to the 7.62 brens and
the
>  SLRs, then saw the SA 80. Hates the SA 80. Now the Ausssies like that

>  Augs.

Back in Basic Training in '82, the close combat instructors mentioned
that if
we butt stroked with the M-16A1, we might end up with the most expensive

clubs in the world.  They recommend the use of the entrenching tool for
that
sort of stuff...

>  I just question why the militia troopers normally have shorter ranged

>  weapons according to canon rules...

Since MOST militia are assumed to be troops that don't get to use
firearms
much, I think it is their competency with the weapons that limits
militia
range more so than the equipment.  I generally don't call folks that are
used
to firearms (and really good at using them) militia in game terms, no
matter
what their "actual" title.

I do have to mention that the .303 volley fire was generally against
troops
in what would now be considered pretty close formation, so I'm not sure
that
you could call it the equivalent of an MG.  Modern formations are much
more
dispersed and a volley fired by BA-armed troops 1200 meters away will
tend to
be pretty ineffective, I think--though it might make a fellow keep his
head
down.

And the M-16A2 is supposedly not bad in the long range accuracy
department
(well, 800 yards anyway) either.  I can't say from personal experience,
as
mine is limited to the A1 (with which I averaged better than 90% in the
black
at 500 yards on the Marine rifle range).

Rob

Prev: Re: [FMA] [Jon ?] Close combat weapons - two systems ? Next: Re: M113 APC?