Prev: Re: Campaign Game Next: RE: [DS2, SG2] Sci-Fi Flavor in Games

Re: An apology for the unwashed Re: Heard at The Local Game Store...

From: Tom Anderson <thomas.anderson@u...>
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2000 15:40:01 +0000 (GMT Standard Time)
Subject: Re: An apology for the unwashed Re: Heard at The Local Game Store...

On Tue, 25 Jan 2000, Steve Pugh wrote:

> > I don't have DSII yet, however, I do have SGII.  One of the things
> > mentionned in SGII is that SGII makes use of lessons learned from
> > DSII.  Are chits one of the things learned?
>
> I don't know. The chits are used for damage resolution and are, IMO,
> quick and easy to use.
>
> > I like SGII, but I keep hearing about these chits and what a
> > nuisance they are in DSII.
>
> There's a very vocal minority which hates them. ;-)

i like them.

> > Has anyone done DSII sans chits or chit emulation?
>
> Several people. The fact that they involve computer programmes or
> large tables rather proves the point that the chits give a wider
> range of results than can easily be acheived with simple dice rolls.

there's also the Dirtside Accelerator, a simple GZG-official replacement
for chit-draw for large-scale battles. it doesn't have the resolution of
chits (no damaged, systems down, etc results), and it doesn't handle
fire
against infantry or by artillery.

http://members.xoom.com/gzg_l/ds-accel.txt

i don't know if it would be possible to retrofit SG2's fire resolution
system onto DS2; i imagine it's too closely tied up with the other
differences between the two games.

tom

Prev: Re: Campaign Game Next: RE: [DS2, SG2] Sci-Fi Flavor in Games