Prev: RE: An apology for the unwashed Re: Heard at The Local Game Store ... Next: Re: An apology for the unwashed Re: Heard at The Local Game Store...

Re: Campaign Game

From: "Laserlight" <laserlight@q...>
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2000 10:29:03 -0500
Subject: Re: Campaign Game

Brian Bell expostulated:
>The ideal situation would be to have 2 concurrent levels of
campaign
>running. One on the Stellar (FT) scale and one on the DS2 scale
(planetary
>conquest). I am not slighting SG2 or FMA Skirmish, but they are
more
>tactical than strategic in scale.

(snippage)

Campaign Time Scales....

I suspect that one problem with a number of campaigns is
confusion with the level of simulation, trying to mix tactical,
operational, strategic and national levels all in one.
Suggestions:

Daily or Weekly: FT operations.  Each player has an assigned
battlegroup and maneuvers within the local systems to bring
about battles.	Movement scale = 1 system _or_ 1 battle per
turn.
--"Admiral, you have been assigned Task Force Alif.  The New
Zimbabwe Naval Yard is constructing a dreadnought which is
scheduled to be finished in 12 weeks.  Your mission is to
destroy the dreadnought before it is completed, and do as much
damage as possible to the Yard."

Monthly: FT strategy.  Each player has an assigned fleet, which
he can divide into battlegroups, and maneuvers across multiple
systems.  Movement scale = several systems per turn.

Quarterly: Grand strategy.  This is the scale at which
production and diplomacy occur (remember diplomacy is limited by
jump couriers carrying messages so it's not instantaneous).
Fleets have unlimited movement within the areas controlled by
the player.

You could conveniently combine the Weekly and Quarterly levels
into a two-tier campaign.