Prev: Re: [OT]Cyber Squad Next: Re: [FT] Fleet Battles

Re: [OT]Cyber Squad

From: devans@u...
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2000 09:21:48 -0600
Subject: Re: [OT]Cyber Squad

***
The opposing side had a general that stepped out of his
tent first thing in the morning and had a good stretch within sight
of the enemy.  This sharpshooter estimated the range, went of and
sighted in his rifle, and then removed the general from the equation.
***

This reminds me of a little film I saw, may have been a reference to
the same occurance as it was supposed to have been historical.

The general always had a static spot, can't recall if a chair by his
tent, or a shaving mirror. In the film, the bullet's travel was so
long that the general actually stepped out of the sight hairs to
speak with a fellow officer, then back into target area, perhaps
even twice, before receiving the shot.

As the whole time bullet was in air-to-target, chills me even now
to think about.

You don't have to read very much historical lit (I've been reading
some Battle of the Atlantic again recently) to find plenty of
examples that make the most obscene Hollywood fantasy pale. Crews
of either U-boats or escorts chasing them amaze me.

Heck, the merchant mariners that would get a ship blown out from
under them, drift on wreckage for days, then sign up for another
run obviously had huge ones of brass beyond my understanding.

Can I call this getting too OT yet?

The_Beast

Prev: Re: [OT]Cyber Squad Next: Re: [FT] Fleet Battles