Prev: Re: [FH] SARCo Next: RE: [FT] AAR

RE: [FT] Fleet Battles

From: "Bell, Brian K" <Brian_Bell@d...>
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2000 06:47:06 -0500
Subject: RE: [FT] Fleet Battles

  I use fleet/squadron movement, but not fleet/squadron firing.

  I have used squadron firing on three occasions, however. We subdivided
our
fleet into squadrons by mass (100 for 2nd Ed.; 200 for FB). Then took
turns
firing the squadrons.

  Squadron division was rounded DOWN (minimum of 1 per squadron). Fleet
(player) order was determined randomly each turn (coin toss). Players
alternated firing squadrons. It worked OK and was fast. However, it
created
some weird squadrons (BDN and a frigate).

  We tried it with "fire any two ships". But this was very
unsatisfactory as
the largest two ships almost always fired together. I think that a
higher
mass in a squadron would create the same type of result (large ships
firing
together for devastating effect).

  One last thing, fleet movement is much easier to do in Vector than in
Cinematic. In vector, the ship maintain their spacing. In Cinematic, the
fleet formation is elastic (stretches and contorts) even if all ships
follow
the same orders.

-----
Brian Bell