Prev: UN Next: Cyber Squad

Re: UN

From: BDShatswell@a...
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2000 11:50:00 EST
Subject: Re: UN

Hi all,

My questions and comments are sprinkled in and among the words of Thomas

Barclay of the Clan Barclay below:

> I'd suggest the UN
>  i) has ts own citizens

So it is possible that many of the earth-locked have-not nations are not
so
earth-locked or have-not thanks to the UN.  Forgive me for asking, but
where
is the canon UN HQ these days?	Is it offworld?  If this has not been
decided, may I suggest one of the ScanFed states?  I don't have any
particular interest in where it is.  This is just a curiosity thing.
However, if UNHQ were located on earth in Sweden, Norway, or Denmark,
then
its central location relative to the major powers' traditional homelands

would seem to aid diplomacy.  BTW does the UN own any earthly territory
of
its own by this time?  I do assume there are extraterrestrial
possessions.
Has anyone assigned any of these on the 'pedia page?

>  ii) has its own sources of revenue
>  iii) receives donations (dues) from member states

Is there a comprehensive list of member states?  Or do I smell a 'pedia
project that needs to be in the works?	Are there any notables who are
NOT
members?  Or major powers who are delinquent members?  Re:  these
donations,
has the UN of 2183+ devised a way of retrieving this tax on a regular
basis?

>  iv) has enough teeth to patrol the Core very effectively and the
inner
>  colonies effectively enough
>  v) is limited by tacit agreement of the major powers from extending
its
>  power into the Outer colonies though no doubt that is UN intention

It is an odd relationship the UN has with the major powers.  My guess is
that
if the four major powers are still members of the UN (and it would be in

their best interests to be so) that the majority of the UN's funding
comes
from these powers.  The best way for them to limit the UN's expansion
would
be to stay perpetually in delinquency.	Which leads back to the question
of
whether the UN has devised a way to deal with this.

>  vi) acts by diplomacy where it can, deterrence where it must,
violence
where
>  nothing else works
>  vii) acts in the outer colonies by some diplomatic and humanitarian
>  extensions and by <it is suspected> covert action - intelligence
gathering
>  and an operational capability
>  viii) might have some tech up their sleeve no one has seen yet - look
at
>  their ships! ;)

Is anyone working on the UN?  I'd like to know the structure of the
governing
body in 2183.  Is there a Security Council?  And if so, which powers
have
those seats?

Bill

Prev: UN Next: Cyber Squad