Prev: Re: Frigates, Destroyers and Cruisers! Oh My! (was Re: Decals) Next: Re: Galaxy Quest

Re: ChitDrawer source.

From: Roger Books <books@m...>
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2000 14:25:10 -0500 (EST)
Subject: Re: ChitDrawer source.

On 12-Jan-00 at 13:01, Tom Granvold (Thomas.Granvold@Eng.Sun.COM) wrote:
> Matthew L. Seidl wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 12 Jan 2000 20:47:59 +1300, "Andrew Martin" writes:
>
> > >I'm considering getting a Palm PC in the near future. Do you know
what
> > >software development tools are available for it?
> > >

> > For a palm pilot you can use either the gcc-port (gcc front end and
> > palm back end to make native .prc files) or Metroworks Codewarrior,
> > which has a palm version.
>
>    These two are probably the best available but there are others.
> In my wanderings through Palm sites I've seen Forth, Scheme, Java,
> and another C development tools available.  Some of them quite cheap
> or even free, though remember you get what you pay for.  I love my
> Palm and am glad to see a lot of programs written for it.  Just wish
> I had time to do some of my own programming.

Argh, that myth.  Forget the "You get what you pay for" bit.  I haven't
benchmarked palm-gcc, but at one point in time the benchmarks for
GCC showed it to generate code about 3% slower than a commercial
compiler costing in excess of $100K.  (GCC is _much_ faster now)

And in that area, I have used Photoshop and the Gimp.  If you need to
deal directly with CMYK Photoshop is better, for everything else I
have done Gimp is just as capable and much easier.

Has anyone seen any Palm software other than the FT 2nd edition
ship generator?

Roger (Give me make, I want to control the build process myself)

Prev: Re: Frigates, Destroyers and Cruisers! Oh My! (was Re: Decals) Next: Re: Galaxy Quest