Prev: Re: ChitDrawer source. Next: Re: OU destroyers

RE: SG2: rule book example vehicle armor

From: "Glover, Owen" <oglover@m...>
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2000 21:43:24 +1000
Subject: RE: SG2: rule book example vehicle armor

I have to agree with Adrian here. This is the feel I get from the SG
rules;
Jon has given it a 'feel' rather than optimised the vehicles in every
case.

A size 3 APC is that size so it can carry 10 or so troops and a decent
weapons fit to give it a fighting chance against other light vehicles or
provide fire support to the infantry inside. Sure it could carry Level 3
armour but it wouldn't fit in with the 'feel' of an APC (RL equivs like
Warrior or such do have good armour but these are in the MICV class
rather
than simple battle taxi style). APCs are still vulnerable to infantry
weapons; maybe not necessarily front on but from side or rear small arms
continue to be a threat.

Rob Deakin designed and sculpted a BMP-60 which has Level 3 Armour on
front
but only Level 1 on the side! Front towards enemy etc!? Encourages the
crew
commanders to head TOWARDS the enemy eh ;-)

If everybody starts playing APCs with level 3 Armour all round then we
get
an on table arms race as platoons start carrying GMS/Ls instead of Ps
etc
etc etc.....

But you play with whatever the crowd you game with wants. Strenghts and
weaknesses built into a game design give these vehicles flavour that
adds to
the game play. Oh, by the way Robs BMP-60 only mounts two pintle SAWs
doesn't like bumping into other Armoured vehicles much, but it does
encourage the infantry with GMS or IAVR to get out and kill teh enemy
AFV
when they do!

Cheers,

owen G