Prev: Re: Heavy Fighter Technology Next: Is Mike Elliot out there?

Re: Decals

From: Michael T Miserendino <MTMiserendino@l...>
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2000 12:39:00 -0500
Subject: Re: Decals

Thomas Pope wrote:
>>> owner-gzg-l@CSUA.Berkeley.EDU at internet 01/11/00 07:52AM >>>
Thomas Barclay of the Clan Barclay wrote:
> The images don't have to be complex, but things like
>     i) horse head (knight from chess)
>     ii) Early german maltese cross (white or silver border around the
>	  early German cross)
>     iii) Insignia like the US SF insignia (with the lightning flashes)
>     iv) Skull and Xbones
>     v) Stylized Crown
>     vi) Stylized Dagger (many good German and English or US examples -
>	  Sykes Fairburn comes to mind)
>     vii) Small representations of older flags (white ensign, any other
>	   naval flags)
>     viii) Lightning Flashes, Thunder clouds
>     ix) Skull by itself (many special units make use of such insignia)
>     x) Sun (various stylized depictions)

>Some of these are planned already, and I'll add the rest to the list.

Good ideas!  I always loved the insignias from Traveller and there are
also
a bunch of good ones from the Battletech universe.  I came across some
Battletech decals a while back, but at the size we're talking there's
not a
lot of detail.

>The set that I hope will do the best is a set of noseart (everything
from
>flaming skulls to pinup girls) As far as I can tell, it's never been
done
>before, and is really a perfect use for the printer.

Much of this can be had from aircraft kits and Squadron as I recall had
tons
of decals sheets from a variety of scales with aircraft markings from
all
eras.  I used some noseart from old WWII aircraft models just for this.

>This brings up another question.  I was kind of musing about the idea
of
>releasing a bunch of different ID sheets all in different fonts.  Does
>anybody
>have good ideas for fonts to match any of the four major powers?

Simple block style would be fine, like what navies use today.

Mike

Michael Miserendino
Senior Software Engineer
Lincoln Re
mtmiserendino@lnc.com

Prev: Re: Heavy Fighter Technology Next: Is Mike Elliot out there?