Prev: RE: OU ships and a hunt for some Battlestar Galactica "ish" fighters Next: Re: Heavy Fighter Technology

Re: Decals

From: Thomas Pope <tpope@c...>
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2000 12:32:01 -0500
Subject: Re: Decals

Dean Gundberg wrote:

> Personally I'd like DDs up to at least 8.  I don't use many ships
smaller
> than DD's in a fleet action, while for me DDs are most numerous.

Just out of curiosity, how numerous?

> Just got Tom's update, new numbers.  I wonder if 12 SCs and CTs are
needed.
> My suggestion is to reduce the number of SCs and CTs to maybe 8 and
then
> increase the number of DDs.

I probably have room to increase the number of DD's without reducing
anything
else.  I picked 12 because somebody mentioned having 12 of them and that
happens
to perfectly fill one column.

> But most people have more than 1 fleet and would need a sheet for each
fleet
> anyway, unless you want to have enough for 2 fleets on a sheet (2 of
> everything) , this will allow for replacements if one decal gets
messed up
> and larger fleets if you replace the number portion of the ID.

I don't think I can make enough for 2 fleets on a single sheet, but
you're right
about most people using at least two fleets.  Makes less to worry about
in some
cases...

> I assume that these numbers will be done in white so they stand out on
black
> bases.  I currently am using a white paint marker which is OK but the
> sharpness of decals would be better.

Yep, they'll be printed in white.

> > I was thinking of a sheet just filled with names in small block
> > print (white lettering).  I'd divide it into quadrants for
American/British,
> > French, German, Chinese/Russian.  Would this be of use?
>
> I have used some of the names from Tangents Earthforce decals on other
> ships.  They would have to be small and sharp to be of use.

The printer we're using is the same (possibly one model up) as the one
Tangents
uses.  I'm going to make a test run of various sized white lettering to
see
what  is still readable.  Basically, I wanted to fill a sheet with names
similar
to Tangent's B5 sheet, but organized roughly into nationality.

> 1) Make them durable.  The Tangents decals were easy to move around
and
> looked good and have really enhanced the look of my Hyperions.  The
> Federation decals were early production versions and were much less
durable.
> It was frustrating working with a 1/16" by 1/2" decal of 'NCC-923'
that
> broke into 3 pieces as I tried to position it, and then had to
position the
> pieces.  Later ones are supposed to be better.

That all depends on the decal film we use.  The stuff we bought comes
highly
recommended by the ALPS mailing list but I haven't tested it myself yet.
 If it
has any durability problems, we'll switch to another brand.

> 2) Include duplicates so you are not screwed if you mess up.	A good
idead
> is to have at least 2 of every number and 4 of every logo or symbol or
ship
> name.  If you put a symbol or name on each side of a ship, and you
mess up,
> if only 2 are included you are out of luck.  With 4 of these, you can
get 1
> ship done for sure and 2 ships if you are careful.

With the ID set, there will be enough extra numbers at the end to repir
most
errors.  The other sets we are planning will all have duplicates,
including some
decale in multiple sizes.

I hadn't thought about duplication for the ship names though.  You're
suggesting
4 of every name on the sheet then?

Tom

--
Thomas Pope
Human Computer Interaction Institute

Prev: RE: OU ships and a hunt for some Battlestar Galactica "ish" fighters Next: Re: Heavy Fighter Technology