Prev: Re: OT: Battleships vs. Carriers... Next: Re: transport designations? [CLEAN STAMP]

RE: Decals

From: "Dean Gundberg" <dean.gundberg@n...>
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2000 11:17:00 -0600
Subject: RE: Decals

> Impressive!  Perhaps I'll add a few -11's and -12's in place of
> the -M's (which
> I think are superflous)

Personally I'd like DDs up to at least 8.  I don't use many ships
smaller
than DD's in a fleet action, while for me DDs are most numerous.

Just got Tom's update, new numbers.  I wonder if 12 SCs and CTs are
needed.
My suggestion is to reduce the number of SCs and CTs to maybe 8 and then
increase the number of DDs.

> How about class designations, would my sheet pretty much cover them?
More
> importantly, were there any sets of letters you wouldn't use?
> Even with the
> extra numbers, you'd have to buy two sheets to complete all the
> ships in your
> fleet and I'd really like to avoid in the majority of cases.

But most people have more than 1 fleet and would need a sheet for each
fleet
anyway, unless you want to have enough for 2 fleets on a sheet (2 of
everything) , this will allow for replacements if one decal gets messed
up
and larger fleets if you replace the number portion of the ID.

I assume that these numbers will be done in white so they stand out on
black
bases.	I currently am using a white paint marker which is OK but the
sharpness of decals would be better.

> > These are some ideas. It'd be nice to produce a decal sheet for
> >	i) ships - the naval flags, tail/hull symbols, squadron
markings,
> >	   etc

Something I have seen on some FSE ships are 1/144 WWI airplane decals.
Both
the bullseye three color nationality marking and the flags for France,
Italy, and Spain seem to work.	Generic markings like Red 5-pointed
stars
and Blue 6-pointed stars would seem to have some use too.

> I was thinking of a sheet just filled with names in small block
> print (white
> lettering).  I'd divide it into quadrants for American/British,
> French, German,
> Chinese/Russian.  Would this be of use?

I have used some of the names from Tangents Earthforce decals on other
ships.	They would have to be small and sharp to be of use.

> I figure we're about a month away from actually having something
> to sell.  Once
> I've got anythign to show the list, I'll let people know.  Until
> then, I'd love
> to hear any more suggestions about what people would like to see.

 Having used Tangents B5 decals and the JMC Enterprised decals for
Gamescience Federation ships, I have a couple suggestions.
1) Make them durable.  The Tangents decals were easy to move around and
looked good and have really enhanced the look of my Hyperions.	The
Federation decals were early production versions and were much less
durable.
It was frustrating working with a 1/16" by 1/2" decal of 'NCC-923' that
broke into 3 pieces as I tried to position it, and then had to position
the
pieces.  Later ones are supposed to be better.
2) Include duplicates so you are not screwed if you mess up.  A good
idead
is to have at least 2 of every number and 4 of every logo or symbol or
ship
name.  If you put a symbol or name on each side of a ship, and you mess
up,
if only 2 are included you are out of luck.  With 4 of these, you can
get 1
ship done for sure and 2 ships if you are careful.

Picures of some of my minis with decals are on my webpage.

Dean Gundberg

Starship Combat News
For the latest information on Space Games and Miniatures
http://www.homestead.com/star_ranger/index.html
star_ranger@my-deja.com

Prev: Re: OT: Battleships vs. Carriers... Next: Re: transport designations? [CLEAN STAMP]