Prev: Re: [FT] Crew Professionalism and Ship Quality Next: Re: [FT] Crew Professionalism and Ship Quality (longish)

Re: [FT] Crew Professionalism and Ship Quality (longish)

From: Tom Anderson <thomas.anderson@u...>
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2000 01:34:00 +0000 (GMT Standard Time)
Subject: Re: [FT] Crew Professionalism and Ship Quality (longish)

Beth,

here's my twenty millieuros' worth. i'm not commenting on the Dutch, as
i'd be too tempted to uberise them. i think they're good, but not
excellent; the same sort of level as the major powers (the modern Dutch
navy is pretty good, and historically the Dutch were a great naval
power).

On Mon, 10 Jan 2000, Beth Fulton wrote:

> FT National crew and ship characteristics:
>
> 1. Crew quality? Please use a 1-5 scale where 1=mostly poorly trained
> troops (either militia or green) and 5=mostly elite crews (top of the
line,
> well trained and very experienced)
> ESU
2 - lots of conscripts
> FCT
4 - high-tech democracy, so competent and motivated
> FSE
3 - hampered by being French. and Spanish. and Italian :)
> IC
2 - conscripts (?)
> IF
1 - conscripts, plus low-tech
> JAP
4 - high-tech democracy, great martial tradition
> LLAR
3 - hampered by general poverty
> KNG (Dutch)
> NAC
4 - high-tech democracy
> NI
4 - HTD
> NSL
4 - HTD
> OU
3 - HTD hampered by lack of experience
> PAU
1 - conscripts from a very low-tech background
> RH
2 - unmotivated and poorly trained
> SWISS
3 - hampered by lack of experience
> UNSC
5 - chosen (wo)men
> Other..<name>.....
>
> 2. Leadership quality (admirals)?
> Please use a 1-5 scale where 1=mostly bad leaders (abysmal who lack
> training/intelligence/charisma) and 5=mostly terrific leaders (well
> educated/quick thinkers/men would follow them to hell and back)
> ESU
2 - political interference
> FCT
5 - californian hard-headedness and texan dash. yee-ho!
> FSE
4 - gallic flair
> IC
3 - average
> IF
2 - political (ie religious) interference
> JAP
3 - average
> LLAR
3 - average
> KNG (Dutch)
> NAC
4 - mature culture for raising good leaders
> NI
3 - average
> NSL
3 - average
> OU
4 - the outback and the pacific0 breed independent thinkers
> PAU
3 - average
> RH
3 - average
> SWISS
4 - efficient lads, the swiss
> UNSC
3 - average
> Other..<name>.....
>
> 3. General professionalism?
> Please use a 1-5 scale where 1 = vessel unlikely to accomplish unsual
or
> difficult tasks and 5 = pretty much do anything asked of them.
> ESU
3 - conscripts, but with a very stiff petty officer corps
> FCT
4 - good
> FSE
4 - good; the french do do things properly
> IC
1 - corrupt
> IF
2 - conscripts
> JAP
3 - average
> LLAR
2 - corrupt
> KNG (Dutch)
> NAC
5 - traditions plus training
> NI
4 - necessarily high
> NSL
5 - german
> OU
3 - average
> PAU
3 - average
> RH
3 - average
> SWISS
3 - average
> UNSC
5 - as before, the best of the best
> Other..<name>.....
>
> 4. Vessel reliabilty?
> Please use a 1-5 scale where 1 = board at own risk and 5 = made to
last .
> ESU
4 - cheap and nasty, but they keep on working
> FCT
2 - all that high tech tends to go on the fritz
> FSE
3 - average
> IC
2 - corrupt
> IF
2 - poor
> JAP
5 - it's japanese!
> LLAR
2 - corrupt
> KNG (Dutch)
> NAC
2 - overstretched
> NI
4 - kept ready
> NSL
5 - it's german!
> OU
3 - average
> PAU
2 - poor
> RH
3 - average
> SWISS
5 - it's swiss!
> UNSC
5 - small fleet needs to be kept effective
> Other..<name>.....
>
> 5. Ability to make the best of opportunities (say to capitalise on
anothers
> mistake to get a shot in etc)?
> Please use a 1-5 scale where 1 = wouldn't know an opportunity they
fell
> over it and 5 = give them an inch and they'll make it a golden mile.
> ESU
3 - average
> FCT
4 - texan dash again
> FSE
4 - gallic flair again
> IC
4 - optimists :)
> IF
3 - average
> JAP
2 - inflexible
> LLAR
3 - average
> KNG (Dutch)
> NAC
2 - inflexible
> NI
4 - built a warfighting strategy out of 'pull'
> NSL
3 - average
> OU
4 - independent thinking
> PAU
3 - average
> RH
3 - average
> SWISS
3 - average
> UNSC
2 - constrained by politics
> Other..<name>.....

and that's yer lot. bear in mind that there are confidence limits of
about
2 on all these numbers :).

peace,
tom

Prev: Re: [FT] Crew Professionalism and Ship Quality Next: Re: [FT] Crew Professionalism and Ship Quality (longish)