Prev: RE: [FT] Screen Value (Shields) Next: Re: Time/Space scale

RE: FT Ship Generation

From: "Dean Gundberg" <dean.gundberg@n...>
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 1999 08:53:31 -0600
Subject: RE: FT Ship Generation

> Space usage efficiency as a f'n of tech quality:
> Archaic = 70%
> 3rd line = 80%
> 2nd line = 90%
> 1st line current = 100%
> state of the art = 110%
>
> When designing a ship, decide which generation it is. Size the hull as
> normal, then size each component by a multiplier of 100/percentage
> from the above table. Which is to say that an archaic ship would size
> all components on a multiplier of 100/70 = 1.43. A state of the art
> ship would size each component by a size of 0.91.
>
> This represents the "size efficiencies of technology".

Instead of trying to calculate this system by system, if the whole ship
is
if another generation tech, multiply the actual mass by the percentage
get an 'Effective Mass' of the ship and design as normal from there.

For example, a 3rd line ship has an actual mass of 95 (the actual mass
is
what determines the class, not the 'Effective Mass).  Multiply the
actual
mass by 80% and we get 76, this would be our 'Effective Mass' and the
ship
would be designed as if it had a mass of 76 instead of its actual mass
of
95.    Points should work out since each system now would take up more
space
than current tech but it would just as effective points wise.  Also 10%
per
generation may be a bit much.  5% may work out better.

On the topic of changing range bands etc.  This could be done, but I
think
that the fire control electrics and similar systems would be easier to
update on ships and refits of this type should be common during a ships
lifetime, though they would no be able to use the extra space since new
FCs
take up less (it could be said that the updated electronics need the
extra
space since it is a retro-fit but now you don't have to vary range
bands).

Dean Gundberg
Trying to get back into the swing of things after a few days away.

Starship Combat News
For the latest information on Space Games and Miniatures
http://www.homestead.com/star_ranger/index.html
star_ranger@my-deja.com

Prev: RE: [FT] Screen Value (Shields) Next: Re: Time/Space scale