Prev: Re: Safe speeds Next: Re: [FH] Great Powers Revised

RE: Safe Speeds [FT]

From: "Bell, Brian K" <Brian_Bell@d...>
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 1999 06:58:41 -0500
Subject: RE: Safe Speeds [FT]

Also, this is making the assumption that 52 is the maximum range of the
scanners (FT p.21). I would assert that 52tu is the maximum range of the
scanners for _identifying_ ship sized objects. Detecting that there is a
ship sized object out there (without being able to define what it is)
extends far beyond this range. A 8' table provides 96tu if using inches
and
about 240tu if using cm and provides bogey markers even if the ships are
unidentified. And larger objects would show up at longer ranges.

At the ranges for FT (1000km/tu) and turn length (15 minutes), slower
than
light sensors should not provide that much of a difference. If using FTL
sensors (gravitic, sub-space, insert-your-PSB-here), it would make no
difference.

-----
Brian Bell
bkb@beol.net