Prev: Re: [FT] SMLs and Banzai Jammers (Re: The GZG Digest V1 #608) Next: RE: SG2: Snipers

the great SM debate

From: Aron_Clark@d...
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 1999 15:08:09 -0800
Subject: the great SM debate

Stepping up to the soap box . . .

I have an opinion as to some of the reasons "why" this thread has
created such a
lively debate.	Many of the FT games I've played, or seen played, have
very
limited objectives.  Typically boiling down to "destroy the other
fleet".  By
this I mean the tactile objectives are very narrow, and creates
attitudes or
designs which are designed to accomplish this goal quickly and
effectively with
the use of damage intensive systems (Salvo Missiles, Wave Guns, etc).

Please don't understand, I'm not criticizing this style of play.  Heck
it is the
prime requisites of any battle; ancient, modern, or sci-fi, to eliminate
the
enemy before they can eliminate you.  However, I do feel that by playing
these
sorts of "straight up fight" games rapidly devolve into "power gaming"
strategies.

Define Power Gaming - Seeking the perfect attack and defense, coupled
with the
ultimate loophole, which makes a side devastating or unbeatable.

In most wargames I've played (particularly over a long period of time)
power
gaming seems to be expressed at some level.  In fact this has been my
biggest
hang-up with wargaming lately.	"Ha Ha . . . I've just launched 56 MT
missiles
at your Carrier" or "My uber monster squishes your pitiful knights" or
"My Heavy
Grav tanks Armor 6, MDC 5 supported by 10 off board tubes will sweep the
field
in say 2 turns" or "insert your favorite here".  I'm sure we've all been
on the
receiving end of something like this, and I'd be willing to bet you
didn't have
a lot of fun.

The games I've truly enjoyed are those which I've faced a challenge,
never
knowing from one turn to the next if I was winning or losing, struggling
for
objectives, not simply trouncing my opponent  I find too that these
types of
challenges can be found in games designed as scenarios with specific
objectives,
not just the straight up fight.

Why is this perhaps more difficult in FT?  To move away from the
straight up
fight to a scenario with specific objectives.  One reason could be that
by our
lack of true human experience in armed "stellar combat" does not allow
us to
readily recognize the potential for such engagements.

 I find myself struggling to come up with interesting scenarios with
challenging
objectives for FT games that aren't simply "you guys over there, them
over
there, no one gets out of here alive".	Although I've come up with one
or two,
and mulling over some others.  I'd be happy to share these with anyone .
. . and
better yet discuss and brain storm over others.

Stepping off the soap box . . . and looking froward to the Scenario Book
release
- Aron

Prev: Re: [FT] SMLs and Banzai Jammers (Re: The GZG Digest V1 #608) Next: RE: SG2: Snipers