Prev: Re: Way Way Way OT )Stealth and Countermeasures..For Ray Next: Re: [FT] SMLs and Banzai Jammers

Re: The GZG Digest V1 #608

From: Beth Fulton <beth.fulton@m...>
Date: Thu, 09 Dec 1999 13:02:21 +1000
Subject: Re: The GZG Digest V1 #608

G'day Alan,

>> 1) I like the idea that if you pay a little more you can specify
"only hit
>> things bigger than size x"
>
>Any suggestions as to points cost?

What about 4xmass instead of 3x? Do you think that's enough? I wouldn't
go
for straight double the cost as that seems too high to me.

>> 2) FB SCs work just as well as Banzai Jammers at diverting salvos and
both
>> may well be a justified defence (I know we've heard in the past from
plenty
>> of wet navy guys that say it's used today more or less)
>
>...and the proposed counter to them is also pretty close to current
>reality too. Usually by narrowing the seek area, but that's not
>something I can go into in detail.

I'll take your word on that... (Beth gets sudden image of Alan dressed
in a
Tux, martini in hand saying "I could tell you, but then I'd have to kill
you"...)

>Good point. But, and IMHO, the idea of the FSE was to have a
devastating
>first strike, but not one that would automatically be a game winner.
>After the strike was launched, they would be on just slightly less than
>even terms, so losses on both sides would be the same after awhile, and
>the outcome would depend on the skill of the admirals.

I agree and getting the mix right on that one is a tricky bag a worms.

>But right now, they have no effective first strike, and just play
>whipping boy at a massive disadvantage.

That may well be the case, at the rate of arms/tactics escalation that
was
going on down here when I left the three weeks I've been out of the game
is
probably too long to give you an accurate answer re the current
situation
here.

Cheers

Beth

----
----
Elizabeth Fulton
c/o CSIRO Division of Marine Research
GPO Box 1538
HOBART
TASMANIA 7001
AUSTRALIA
Phone (03) 6232 5018 International +61 3 6232 5018
Fax 03 6232 5053 International +61 3 6232 5053

email: beth.fulton@marine.csiro.au

Prev: Re: Way Way Way OT )Stealth and Countermeasures..For Ray Next: Re: [FT] SMLs and Banzai Jammers