Prev: RE: [OFFICIAL] MORE NEW SHIPS.... (Class Names) Next: RE: Arty

Re: Beth's Emines & HBWs

From: Beth Fulton <beth.fulton@m...>
Date: Thu, 09 Dec 1999 09:00:49 +1000
Subject: Re: Beth's Emines & HBWs

G'day Oerjan,

><chuckle> Lowland Scots tend to be better at pronouncing my name than
>people raised on Queen's English, so I'm not entirely certain your
>Aussie accent works against you here <g>

So you'd know I'd say your name, but not the rest of the
conversation.... ;)

>Good. Makes it worthwhile to at least think about the bigger capacitors
><g>

I must admit I do tend to go for a few medium sized arrays rather than
one
HUGE all or nothing set, but I do that with my FSE SM designs too I
guess I
just don't like putting all my eggs in one basket. Having said that I do
have one ship with a class 6 capacitor feeding only one projector, when
it
works its impressive... and when it doesn't as I roll and get 1 1 2 1 2
1
at least it amusing hearing all the guys make PHUT noises at me ;)

>But you can't hit a target with level-1 screens beyond range 30 (since
>that'd give you a -7 modifier)?

My gut reaction would be nope, I guess you could have it as a minus to
reroll damage, but I just don't like the feel of it... PSB would
probably
be along the lines of it really wasn't that strong enough to beat the
distance and the screens and so dissipated with no effect.

>> >What happens if it is damaged a second time? Nothing, destroyed,
>> >reduced to 1/4 of the original capacity?
>
>It can become quite important after a threshold or two, too :-/

I've been thinking this over and I would go with first time its knocked
half and 2nd time its gone completely, but (and in answer to another
point
you raised) I would let this damage be repaired by DCPs, but I wouldn't
let
ones that explode outright be repaired (less left to work with).

>>>What happens if the capacitor is hit by a needle beam?
>
>Core systems can't be hit by needle beams. Waveguns go BOOM when hit by
>needles, but they do that on any threshold hit as well.

Well that proves it out of sight, out of mind, don't play FT for 3 weeks
and I forget the few rules I did know! ;)
OK lets settle with they do go BOOM if needle beamed (this is gonna hurt
can tell).

>> I think it was half and half.
>
>Sounds a bit strange that internal damage (particularly from a Core-ish
>system) would reach the armour through the hull, but if you say so <g>

Good to see your a man that knows they order of things ... if I say so
of
course thats the way it is! ;)
Seriously though I shouldn't have tried to answer my email with
red-level
jetlag as I interpreted that to mean damage dished out in fire not from
the
explosion in a threshold (which was dumb to say the least seeings as
that
was what you'd been asking about for the rest of the post). Know I'm
down
to only pale yellow jet-lag, I'd say it all goes on the hull for the
very
reason you stated ;)

Hope that clears it up ;)

Cheers

Beth

----
----
Elizabeth Fulton
c/o CSIRO Division of Marine Research
GPO Box 1538
HOBART
TASMANIA 7001
AUSTRALIA
Phone (03) 6232 5018 International +61 3 6232 5018
Fax 03 6232 5053 International +61 3 6232 5053

email: beth.fulton@marine.csiro.au

Prev: RE: [OFFICIAL] MORE NEW SHIPS.... (Class Names) Next: RE: Arty