Prev: RE: GEVs Next: RE: [SG2] Seeking anyone with 20mm Blade Miniatures

Re: [SG2] Seeking anyone with 20mm Blade Miniatures

From: bbrush@u...
Date: Fri, 3 Dec 1999 09:42:57 -0600
Subject: Re: [SG2] Seeking anyone with 20mm Blade Miniatures

I'm not sure if you've ever done any casting before, but in case you (or
anyone
else reading this) haven't, I'll just throw this out there.

Generally speaking a mold made from a casting doesn't produce very good
castings
itself.  The mold masters have somewhat exagerated detail which is
"softened"
when the mold is made.	So a mold made from a casting will further
"soften" the
detail and result in castings with very fuzzy detail.

Many years ago someone in Florida (who shall remain nameless) made GW
knock-offs
by making molds from models he purchased and then resold them at a
fraction of
the price.  The detail on the knock-offs was very poor, but they sold
like hot
cakes because they were much cheaper.  (He quit doing this right after
GW had
their lawyers visit him)

I just thought you ought to know this, if you desire is to preserve the
character and detail of the mini's, which seems to be the case.

Your only real hope of producing the mini's at their original detail
level is a)
get the molds, b) get the masters and make new molds, or c) resculpt
them from
scratch.

I hope this wasn't too discouraging.

Bill

"Scott Spieker" <scspieker@ncweb.com> on 12/01/1999 08:02:16 AM

Please respond to gzg-l@CSUA.Berkeley.EDU

  To:	       gzg-l@CSUA.Berkeley.EDU

  cc:	       (bcc: Bill Brush/NET/UNL/UNEBR)

  Subject      [SG2] Seeking anyone with 20mm Blade
  :	       Miniatures

    Anyone who may have _ANY_ of the 20mm Blade miniatures, could you
please
contact me with a listing of what you have?  I am looking to find the
entire
range (or as much as possible).   The hopes are very small of ever
locating
the original molds, but there is still a small amount of hope.	In the
event
that they cannot be located/purchased, I would like to have a wide
enough
selection for use in creating new molds.  There is a legal issue
involved
with the creation of new molds, but I am working on that aspect right
now
with my attorney.

    I of course would be able to share the new castings with anyone who
has
some originals to offer (when they are available of course), but first
things first.  I need the masters.

    Any quantity, and almost any condition (bare preferred, but painted
is
not a problem) would be greatly appreciated, and from anywhere in the
world.

<snip>

Prev: RE: GEVs Next: RE: [SG2] Seeking anyone with 20mm Blade Miniatures