Prev: Re: Stealth and Countermeasures... Next: Re: GEVs/Grav

Re: Stealth and Countermeasures...

From: Ryan M Gill <monty@a...>
Date: Thu, 2 Dec 1999 20:17:37 -0500 (EST)
Subject: Re: Stealth and Countermeasures...

On Thu, 2 Dec 1999, Imre A. Szabo wrote:

> Torpedeos have always been out there.  Iowa's were designed to resist
> torpedoe damage.  While the torpedeo may get lucky (aka Bismark) that
is
> no gareentee.  I would hate to think what one of those torps would do
> thin skinned fire support ship you suggest and the USN is
considering...

There would be more than 2 of these thin skinned fire supprot ships.
There would most likely be 2 per MEU or something similar.

BB's resist torpedos to a degree. Also you state taht the BB would
resist
the ASMs. It would be mostly proof against such threats in the areas of
the armoured bastion of the ship (engeneering spaces, CinC, the Turrets
Bridge) but all the sensors and such would be quite vulnerable.

In a perfect world, I'd love for the navy to be able to keep all 4 of
the
Iowas on line, staffed and fitted. Unfortunately that wont be happening.

- Ryan Montieth Gill	  NRA / DoD# 0780 (Smug #1) / AMA / SOHC -
- ryan.gill@turner.com	    I speak not for CNN, nor they for me -
- rmgill@mindspring.com 	     www.mindspring.com/~rmgill/ -
- '85 Honda CB700S  -  '72 Honda CB750K  - '76 Chevy MonteCarlo  -

Prev: Re: Stealth and Countermeasures... Next: Re: GEVs/Grav