Prev: Re: Stealth and Countermeasures... Next: What's that got to do with it.

RE: [Fwd: flanker New China Radar technology threatens US Stealth Aircraft!]

From: Nathan Pettigrew <nathanp@M...>
Date: Thu, 2 Dec 1999 09:50:19 -0800
Subject: RE: [Fwd: flanker New China Radar technology threatens US Stealth Aircraft!]

Ran across this slide show by The US Naval Fire Support Assoc., who
advoates
the recommissioning of the Iowa BBs.  They make a pretty interesting
arguement, at the very least it's interesting reading.	I have no idea
how
it holds up in real life.

Some highlights:
A 500lb, 8in diameter, 6ft long penatrator round that is supposed to go
through 41ft of concrete
Extended range sabotted round that can go 100nm, GPS guided (I didn't
see
anything about 200nm+, though)
Refit the Iowas to carry 128 TLAMs

http://www.usnfsa.com/articles/brief/sld001.htm

BTW, can any naval types tell me what "caliber" refers to on the big
guns?
i.e. 5"/54  It's obvious that it's a 5in gun, but I don't know what the
54
refers to.

Thanks,
Nathan