Prev: Re: Now getting OT.... (was:Re: New Confederate States) Next: Re: A good altitude for Ortillery? Math and astrophysics guys help out

Re: [Fwd: flanker New China Radar technology threatens US Stealth Aircraft!]

From: "Imre A. Szabo" <ias@s...>
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 1999 19:58:37 -0500
Subject: Re: [Fwd: flanker New China Radar technology threatens US Stealth Aircraft!]

> The way people are stating stealth is a waste of money, you'd think
> they'd be asking us to go back to slab sided wing roots and straight
> intake inlets.  Stealth is about reducing RCS. The more you can
> reduce that Radar Cross section, the harder it will be for the bad
> guys
> to get a firing solution if at all depending on the range. In the case
> of
> the F22, if it means it will be less visible at long range, then the
> Fighter Jock will have an easier time hitting you before you can hit
> him.
>
> Combine properly used stealth and organized SEAD missions, and it will
> be
> hell for the badguys.

You're missing the point.  Reducing RCS is evolutionary.  Stealth was a
attempt at a revolutionary new aircraft.  It failed.  I do not have a
problem with the R&D phase of the F 117.  We learned a lot.  I am
skeptical about opperational use of the F 117 and the R&D phase of the B
2.  Opperational use of the B 2 is a huge waste of my tax money.

All an SU-27 has to do to find a stealth aircraft is to be in the right
area.  The new radar will do that.  The IR sensor built into every
single SU-27 that is integrated into the fire control for both the heat
seeking missiles (both short range missiles and medium range missiles)
and the auto-cannon is capable of picking up the IR signiture of a
stealth aircraft, tracking it, and engaging it.

The US could have gotten a lot more bang for the buck for the amount of
money that has been and is being squandered on the B 2.  We probably
could have pulled out the plans for the Montana's, modernized them with
nuclear power and automation to reduce crew size, developed extended
range guided projectiles (probably 200 to 300 nm for the 16" guns), and
built, equiped and crewed half a dozen of them; fixed the 100 B 1B's we
already have and equiped them with conventional ACM's; converted half a
dozen Ohio SSBN to SSGN's.  Now compare all of that to 22 B 2's in throw
weight, utility, and versitility.  Remeber, B 2's can't opperate
effectively in the rain.  Why?	The radar absorbent skin absorbs water
which reflects radar very well.

IAS