Prev: Re: [OT] Space Fleet Battles Next: RE: [Fwd: flanker New China Radar technology threatens US Stealth Aircraft!]

Re: Bad Gen Con News.

From: Michael T Miserendino <MTMiserendino@l...>
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 1999 7:59:00 -0500
Subject: Re: Bad Gen Con News.

>>> owner-gzg-l@CSUA.Berkeley.EDU at internet 11/25/99 11:58PM >>>
Allan Goodall wrote:
>The person who posted the move to Indy in the rec.games.frp.misc group
>posted
>the rumour of the move months ago. He mentioned that even with the
>expansion,
>GenCon still wouldn't be able to fit into one centre in Milwaukee. I'm
not
>sure I agree with him, but when you look at the area used in the arena,

>Bruce
>Hall, and Labyrinth it is possible that the expansion might not be big
>enough.

I would disagree with him as well.  The undeveloped lot is quite large.

>However, the problem is nearby hotel space. That's ALWAYS been a
>problem.
I've
>heard people complaining for years about where they are stuck if they
>don't get one of the few good hotels right downtown.

The first year it was the same for me.	I've registered early every
other
year and had good hotel locations with the exception of 1998 when WoTC
lost
our hotel reservations.

>But he did make an interesting point, a minute later. There is a
perception
>that GenCon isn't a historical miniatures con. The reasons for this are
>myriad, but it comes down to a vicious spiral. People don't see it as a
>historical con, so people don't go to it for historical minis. People
don't
>run historical minis games, so there are fewer historical games,
fueling
>the feeling that it isn't a historical con.

This is odd to me as GenCon has by far had the largest variety of games
have ever seen at a con.  I wouldn't consider it a historial mins con
either,
 but a chance to try about everything.

>I do remember having fun trying to get a room the first year I
attended.
>Now I always pre-register very early!	You would think someone might
spring

>up a new hotel or two.

>I guess Milwaukee doesn't have the traffic for it. A hotel can't
survive on
>one good week a year.

There are other cons\large events in the town as well such as the Harley

Davidson get together.	I would think GenCon is not their only income.

Mike

Michael Miserendino
Senior Software Engineer
Lincoln Re
mtmiserendino@lnc.com

Prev: Re: [OT] Space Fleet Battles Next: RE: [Fwd: flanker New China Radar technology threatens US Stealth Aircraft!]