Prev: Re: SG2/DS2 artillery Next: Re: SG2/DS2 artillery

Re: DS2/SG2 artillery

From: "Oerjan Ohlson" <oerjan.ohlson@t...>
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 1999 19:10:04 +0100
Subject: Re: DS2/SG2 artillery

Roger Books wrote:

> > > I still don't get the assumption that something fired form 200
miles
> > > (ortillery)...

> My question is why would your ortillery fire from 200 miles away.  We
> have what, about 3 miles of atmosphere?  That space based artillery
> could be 5 miles away.  As for flight times, both are going to be
> insignificant.

Reality check:

The top of Mount Everest is about 5.3 miles above sea level.

WWI Zeppelins could reach about 3.4 miles above sea level (and WWI
aircraft flew higher still).

WWII aircraft could fly at least 6 miles above sea level.

Modern SAMs (Hawk-style, not man-carried) can reach at least 10 miles
up, indicating that modern aircraft can fly higher still... and they
still don't move anywhere close to the outer reaches of the atmosphere.

Roger, I'm afraid your estimate of the atmosphere's thickness might be
a bit low :-/

Regards,

Oerjan Ohlson
oerjan.ohlson@telia.com

"Life is like a sewer.
- Hen3ry

Prev: Re: SG2/DS2 artillery Next: Re: SG2/DS2 artillery