Prev: Re: [OT] RAFM's 25mm grav bikes Next: Re: Home metal casting kit

Re: SG2/DS2 dice with more than six sides.

From: Michael Sarno <msarno@p...>
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 1999 08:28:37 -0500
Subject: Re: SG2/DS2 dice with more than six sides.

Thomas Barclay of the Clan Barclay wrote:

> Just a momentary <harmless good natured> personal rant
> <tune out if you are smart!> (BTW, not a personal attack on anyone -
> each his own!)
>
> Anyway, I'll keep my rant brief. I've just seen too many games do one
of
> two things, neither of which is pretty, to stay with a six-sided dice
> scheme:
> 1) Use an ungodly NUMBER of dice - more of a pox than using different
> die types if I had to guess (IMO). Charlie Company seems to do this
> (from my limited experience).

    First, let me state that I agree with you overall reagarding
polyhedral
dice.  However, you have thrown down the gauntlet

    Charlie Company does use a large number of dice, but it hardly
qualifies
as "ungodly."  First, in all but a few extreme cases, the combat and
cover
modifiers usually cut down even the large gunship fires to one or two
dice.
However, I have seen as many as 16 dice thrown on more than one
occasion.
The most dice I've ever seen thrown at one time, though, is 28: a combat
ordered squad against a charge ordered squad in the open.  Most of the
time,
you're rolling a 1 to 4 dice.  Rolling more dice just keep the curve
intact.  The way I look at it, any squad that charges on open ground
against
entrenched infantry deserves to have 28 dice rolled against them.

-Mike

--
Michael Sarno

http://vietnam.isonfire.com
Check out the Charlie Company Discussion Group:
Info, resources, and links for RAFM's miniatures
skirmish wargame of infantry combat in Vietnam 1965-1972

"No nation should put the burden of war
 on its military forces alone."
 -General William C. Westmoreland,
		  US Army, retired

Prev: Re: [OT] RAFM's 25mm grav bikes Next: Re: Home metal casting kit