Prev: Battle at Camelot Comics and Games--After Action Report Next: Re: Battle at Camelot Comics and Games--After Action Report

Re: Battle at Camelot Comics and Games--After Action Report

From: Brian Burger <yh728@v...>
Date: Sat, 20 Nov 1999 23:25:13 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: Battle at Camelot Comics and Games--After Action Report

Great battle report - a great game, from the sounds of it.

Just one question: Why didn't you and your group like the
multiple-die-types idea? (Using d4 thru d12 depending on qualities...)

It's not a perfect system, but I really, really like being able, in most
rolls, to just look at the numbers rolled and know instantly who's
higher.
If you have a fixed die, you usually wind up with "Roll dX, then add all
these factors as appropriate, then subtract all those other factors, etc
etc..." (Having played Car Wars, I wanted to get far away from this
system...)

There's a bit of that in the GZG system, but all the actual opposed
rolls
(the combat rolls) are straight-out rolls, no adding & subtracting.

Given that I'm frankly lousy at mental math, I'm glad to give that type
of
system a miss, even if it means I  have loads of funny-looking dice
around
the place. :> The only problem with that is finding the right die type
in
the heat of battle, on a 6x8 table covered in scenery and miniatures. I
get around that by just buying even more die, so I can usually find at
least one of whatever type I need...

Brian (yh728@victoria.tc.ca)
-DS2/SG2/FR!/HOTT-
		   - http://warbard.iwarp.com/games.html -
-SciFi & Fantasy Wargaming House Rules, Photos, GWAutobasher, & more-
      -"Just because it's not nice doesn't mean it's not miraculous."-
	      - from Terry Pratchett's 'Interesting Times' -