Prev: Re: Indices (was Re: SGII: Casevac?) Next: Re: Battle at Camelot Comics and Games--After Action Report

Battle at Camelot Comics and Games--After Action Report

From: RWHofrich@a...
Date: Sat, 20 Nov 1999 21:55:45 EST
Subject: Battle at Camelot Comics and Games--After Action Report

A report from the front lines for any that may be interested...

I ran a modified version of my Nova Moravia/Battle of Jaros Brod using
Dirtside II earlier today--it was about 12 platoons of Eurasian Solar
Union
(and Dutch mercenaries) against 10 platoons of Romanov Hegemony troops
(including patrol boats).  This was my first Dirtside II scenario and
every
player was new to the system.  This coupled with the fact that the
scenario
was kind of large conspired to make the game last about 7 hours.

Here's how it went--

Initially, the ESU push was stalled as units piled up behind each other
trying to batter their way across the major bridge (one of the main
objectives of the battle).  Romanov artillery fire was especially
vicious at
this point, catching many units before they were able to disperse.  The
combined artillery, tank, and AT fire caused considerable casualties
among
the attackers, though a couple of the defending AT vehicles were
destroyed as
well.

Next, the ESU laid smoke in front of one of the Romanov AT units, and
the ESU
grav vehicles sprinted across the river (bypassing the bridge) and made
directly for the major urban area.  This advance was also hit, this time
by
flanking fire from the naval elements.	In return, the ESU managed to
maul
the AT unit defending the bridge AND the tanks providing overwatch
support--this allowed a flanking move by heavy grav tanks around the
Romanov
right flank.

Finally, the ESU assault on the city went in--and the close assualts
caused
heavy casualties on both sides, though at first the combat appeared to
be
going in the ESU's favor, Romanov infantry reinforcements brought in by
truck
(and others landed by the patrol boats) turned the tide somewhat.

We called it a game at this point having played out about 6
turns--basically
it was a draw as the ESU controlled both bridges and had a foothold in
the
city, but the Romanov's still held most of the city and all of the port
facility.

Anyway, all participants expressed satisfaction with the rules (though,
like
me, they also aren't thrilled with the various-sided dice system).

Anyway, it was fun and I'll be playing Dirtside again.

My thanks to those that came.

Rob

Prev: Re: Indices (was Re: SGII: Casevac?) Next: Re: Battle at Camelot Comics and Games--After Action Report