Prev: Parity for fighters (was: Re: anti fighter missiles) Next: Dropship

Re: [FT AAR] New Israel/Islamic Federation

From: "Izenberg, Noam" <Noam.Izenberg@j...>
Date: Fri, 5 Nov 1999 15:31:24 -0500
Subject: Re: [FT AAR] New Israel/Islamic Federation

>From Oerjan:

> According to the numbers you and Noam posted, it looked closer to
+50=%
> to the cost of the IF (~1200 vs ~1750 IIRC).

Depends on the calculation? By now I've seen adjustments from +10%-25%
for
converting non-FTL ships to FTL equivalent, evening things up a tad
(1320-1500).
In addition, 144 NPV of the NI ships were 8 unarmed, unmanned scouts
(the
other 5 had a single submunition packs) - utterly useless against
anything
but SMs.

> Sure, the HK group alone was only about 20-25% stronger than the
> raiders, but the convoy escorts got involved in the battle as well...

If you call two missiles and a submunition (that all missed) and 1 hit
of 3
beam dice "involved"  ;-).

On the whole I agree that NI had the advantage in head to head. Again,
the
AI scouts were exactly the right thing to bring against SM armed ships.

The real question in a raid type scenario, is how much that matters.
I've
run some simplified sims of the same raid scenario where the IF ignores
the
HK group and attacks the freighters singlemindedly. Anywhere from 2-4
freighters could have been destroyed, with the IF escaping with at least
one
missile ship and up to half of its beamships (more of both if the die
rolls
were the same as those in the actual game we played). Depending on the
larger context, such a raid might be considered an overall victory for
the
IF.

Prev: Parity for fighters (was: Re: anti fighter missiles) Next: Dropship