Prev: Re: My ship designs Next: Nathan's FAS designs

Re: [FT] my take on the UNSC SDN-X

From: Roger Books <books@m...>
Date: Thu, 4 Nov 1999 16:26:37 -0500 (EST)
Subject: Re: [FT] my take on the UNSC SDN-X

On  4-Nov-99 at 16:14, Oerjan Ohlson (oerjan.ohlson@telia.com) wrote:
> Roger Books wrote:
>
> A few comments:
>
> > Second, it is obviously a dispersed structure.  Those big wings
> > are vulnerable points.
>
> Screen-2 on an armoured Weak hulls is the best you can get for a
> Thrust-4, FTL capable ship... provided the enemy uses a reasonable
> amount of beams, of course <g>
>
> > The other thing I didn't like is I couldn't fit fighter groups on
> > without pushing it over the edge.  Anyway, here it is:
> >
> > UNSC SDN-X
> >
> >  Hull Displacement	      290
> >  Point Cost 	      1057
> >  Hull Strength	      Weak (14/14/13/13)
>
> Should be Weak (15/15/14/14)

Miscounted on AO. :(

> >  Screen		      Level 2
> >  Fire Control System      (5)
> >  ADFC		      (1)
> >  PDS		     (12)
>
> With that many PDS, you could use more than one ADFC... particularly
if
> the enemy is uncouth enough to attack the smaller ships :-/

I considered this, but was trying to conserve mass.  It also fits in
with
the UNSC mission parameters, I would guess often this ship will be
operating
as the sole UNSC ship in with one of the nationalities.  It's nice if
you
can defend the others, but you know full well they aren't going to be
worried about covering your rear if it is inconvenient.  This is an
"excuse".   Well, I gave your destroyer 4 PDS's, that was all I could
lend so I used the rest on myself.  Poor ship design. :)

> >  SML		      (2)
>
> Arcs?

Fore/left side and Fore/right side.

> >  SM Magazine	      Cap: 12  (6 / 4 ER salvos)
> >  Beam / 3		      FP F FS
> >  Beam / 3		      F FS
> >  Beam / 3		      FP F
> >  Beam / 2		      FP F FS
> >  Beam / 2		      FP F AP
> >  Beam / 2		      F FS AS
>
> Looks OK. If you're worried about the mass - the FSE SDN is only 250
> Mass, and you say the UNSC one feels lighter - I guess some of the PDS
> and/or part of the SM battery could go. Which weapons do you equate
> with the twin SMLs, BTW?

There are things that look like scoops on both sides of the main hull,
they are divided into 6 sections which led me to believe they
were salvo missle launchers, although I guess they could be B5 style
fighter silos.

Thanks for the reply.  The big question is, does it feel like a
design by committee while still being a worthwhile ship?

Roger

Prev: Re: My ship designs Next: Nathan's FAS designs