Prev: Re: An interesting note for fiction writers in the group Next: Depth Factor

RE: An interesting note for fiction writers in the group

From: "Keith Watt" <kwatt@E...>
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 1999 17:59:30 -0400
Subject: RE: An interesting note for fiction writers in the group

Hi Tre -

> Electronic publishing isn't the way to fortune (My site is in the
> minority in that I acutally pay cash for submissions, and I only pay
> $.02 USD a word.  That's about average for electronic media but maybe
> third of the bigger mags), but the money spends as well as anyone
> else's, and infinitely better than the money you WON'T recieve if your
> submission is sitting in some editor's slush pile somewhere for two
> years.  While an electroinic writing credit may not carry as much
weight
> as a quote-unquote real credit, they are becoming more respected
> offline. And, after all, a writing credit is a writing credit.

Please don't think I'm slighting e-zines - not at all!	I agree with you
100%: an e-published story is infinitely better than a non-published
story,
particularly if one gets paid!	As you say, a writing credit is a
writing
credit.  And again meaning no offense, but I'd _rather_ be published in
Analog or Asimov's, not because of the money but because of the prestige
(who wouldn't?).  Not that my writing is anywhere near that level, of
course, but it seems foolish to me to put something on my website (which
doesn't pay me nor does it grant any prestige at all) before at least
attempting to submit it to print, wouldn't you agree?

Here's a question for you as an e-zine publisher:  if someone submits to
you
a story that they've had on their own site for a year, isn't it safe to
assume that (if it's any good and therefore worth publishing) it's
already
been read and/or saved by hundreds of people before you buy it?  It
would
seem that story wouldn't be worth much to you, wouldn't it?  Just
wondering.
As I have never read an e-zine,  I have no idea how it works (time to
pop
over to your page, thanks for the URL!).

TTYL..
Keith

Prev: Re: An interesting note for fiction writers in the group Next: Depth Factor