Prev: An interesting note for fiction writers in the group Next: RE: An interesting note for fiction writers in the group

Re: An interesting note for fiction writers in the group

From: Tre Chipman <info@t...>
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 1999 11:21:25 -0500
Subject: Re: An interesting note for fiction writers in the group

>Note those last four words - yipe!  In my case, very little of what
I've
>written is publishable, but some are very close.  Obviously, I'm not
ready
>to surrender publishing rights to anything I've written, so I've taken
the
>stories themselves offline.  I'm still willing to email the decent ones
>anyone who wants to read them (and hopfully give criticism), so feel
free to
>click on the email links on http://www.ExodusProject.com/Fiction.
Those of
>you who think you might one day want to try to publish your work, might

>consider doing the same.

I dunno, Keith; every published writer I've ever talked to about getting
published has told me that the first sell is always the hardest, since
most publishers won't publish anyone who hasn't already been published
(yeah, crummy logic, I know, but them's th' rules).  However, it is
much, MUCH easier to get published in an E-zine than out in the Big
Real, and there's really not a lot of dead tree publishers who can match
the net's distribution range.  That being said, pulling your electronic
representation to hold out for a hardcopy buy is sort of putting the
cart before the horse.
Electronic publishing isn't the way to fortune (My site is in the
minority in that I acutally pay cash for submissions, and I only pay
$.02 USD a word.  That's about average for electronic media but maybe a
third of the bigger mags), but the money spends as well as anyone
else's, and infinitely better than the money you WON'T recieve if your
submission is sitting in some editor's slush pile somewhere for two
years.	While an electroinic writing credit may not carry as much weight
as a quote-unquote real credit, they are becoming more respected
offline. And, after all, a writing credit is a writing credit.

Take care,

Tre Chipman
info@thewayfareronline.com
http://www.thewayfareronline.com

P.S.- For those of you interested, a copy of The Wayfarer Online's
Submission Guidelines are available at:

http://www.thewayfareronline.com/html/main.cgi?sub=10#submission

Today's Trivia Bite: This Email contains 8 instances of the word
"publish", or variances thereof.