Prev: Re: [FT URL] Lastest IF ships from GZG pix Next: Fighters - Multi Role, Recce, SWAC, ECM/EW [FT] [FB]

Re: [OFFICIAL] New Stuff from GZG!

From: Michael T Miserendino <MTMiserendino@l...>
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 1999 13:55:00 -0500
Subject: Re: [OFFICIAL] New Stuff from GZG!

Oops!  You're right.  That was a 688.  I could have sworn I read it from
newspaper article that referred to it as an Ohio class.  Anyways, not
all
688s were named after U.S. cities, much like other classes they
sometimes
vary from the norm.  The 688s include one named after Hyman Rickover.
Also,
I believe there are two new attack subs in a new class or hull type that
are
under construction and are both named after states.  Surface ships are
also
named after states and cities.

Mike

Michael Miserendino
Senior Software Engineer
Lincoln Re
mtmiserendino@lnc.com

>>> owner-gzg-l@CSUA.Berkeley.EDU at internet 10/26 10:40 AM >>>
>>[Controversy over naming subs "Corpus Christi"
>
>Yep.  That was a new Ohio class boomer.  The name caused quite a stir.

Actually, it was a Los Angeles-class attack boat.  Boomers are named
after
states (like battleships of old; I suppose 24 Tridents is the modern
equivalent of 9 x 16"...).  Attack subs are named after cities (like
cruisers used to be).  As I recall, the objections were moderated
slightly
by changing the name to "USS City of Corpus Christi."

Kent

Prev: Re: [FT URL] Lastest IF ships from GZG pix Next: Fighters - Multi Role, Recce, SWAC, ECM/EW [FT] [FB]