Prev: Re: Ship building.... the hard way... Next: Re: Ship building.... the hard way...

Re: Ship building.... the hard way...

From: Brian Quirt <baqrt@m...>
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 1999 08:58:51 -0300
Subject: Re: Ship building.... the hard way...

> > The really cool way to do this would be to coat the walls and
ceilings of
> > your ship in magnetic sheeting, and put washers on the bottom of
your
> > figures bases.
> >
> > And have small detatchable 'flying stands', which will also stick to
the
> > walls/ceilings.
> >
> > Then when the artifical gravity goes, you can really have 3-d, 0g
combat.

> > It would be a heck of a lot of work, but it would be really, really
> > cool... any takers? :>
>
> Unfortunately, from my experiences with using magnetic sheeting and
> washer-based figs, the magnetic force isn't usually enough to support
> metal figure.  Plastics might work, though.
>
> Cool idea, though.

Well, from experience I know that 15mm can work (except that I used
magnetic bases and metal walls- rare earth magnets, so they held the
troops rather well). There are also assorted two-sided-tape type things
which can sometimes work (especially if you're willing, for one game, to
not use minatures and instead use (say) the little cardboard stand-up
troops.

Also, I recently posted some FMA variants for free fall (they don't
handle people in open flight, mostly because I wasn't sure how to
represent velocity. For people drifting in the middle of a hallway (or
equivalent), I generally put them on top of a stack of Lego (it allowed
me to vary the height easily). Did the FMA free fall variant make it on
to the list?

Agreed, cool idea. I'll be forced to model a few scout ships (and I may
post the plans for my small-scale space-station assault when they're
complete).
Brian Quirt

Prev: Re: Ship building.... the hard way... Next: Re: Ship building.... the hard way...