Prev: RE: One Ring to Rule Them All Next: RE: One Ring To Bind Them

Re:East Timor

From: Michael Llaneza <maserati@f...>
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 1999 23:53:09 -0700
Subject: Re:East Timor

At 12:17 AM -0400 10/14/99, Thomas Barclay of the Clan Barclay wrote:
>FWIW, I don't plan to turn anything from this mission into "gaming
>material" until the boys are home safe and sound. Historical recreation
>of battles long done, I'm okay with. Future speculation, fine too. But
>gaming what real folk are out dying and killing over at the same time
is
>just a little out of flavour to my mind. I'll let the good ideas keep,
>but I have a (probably unusual) sense of respect for the situations as
>they are still unfolding.
>
>Just my 0.02.

I've got two thoughts, so that's a penny each.

First of all, I do agree with the esteemed Mr. Barclay
wholeheartedly. There is a certain macabre element about it. And I'm
not going to touch upon the occult in this regard. The cynical
amongst us (is this the 'overkill' .sig ? good)  may want to pass
over sentimentality in favor of some wry comment about wanting to see
the entire OOB or to finish the political rules. But let us not
forget the professional who must evaluate contingencies and explore
possibilities.

Secondly, and I currently have a friend in India, I am curious as to
the effect of the recent coup in Pakistan on the stability of the
region. India and Pakistan have been at it hammer and tongs lately,
and both are nuclear powers. Right now the Pakistani forces have
pulled out of the Kashmir area, so there'd be a little warning and
there's no real reason to expect serious trouble. The leader of the
coup however, was the prime mover of the push into Kashmir. I expect
to see a shift of American forces into the area and a very serious
interest taken by the UN.

by the way, there's a crashed router on alter.net between me and
cnn.com, but the BBC is running fine.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/world/south_asia/default.htm

Michael Carter Llaneza
Overkill: A Sufficient Preponderance of Firepower
Imperial Dispatches: http://www.flash.net/~maserati/ID/

Prev: RE: One Ring to Rule Them All Next: RE: One Ring To Bind Them