Prev: Re: Transport capacities Next: [OT]Geo-Hex Terrain for SG and DS

Re: Space Travel Times [campaign FT] - Questions!!!

From: Sean Bayan Schoonmaker <schoon@a...>
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 1999 08:06:52 -0700
Subject: Re: Space Travel Times [campaign FT] - Questions!!!

OK, I'll take a hack at this...

>1) Average speed of a military ship over a long-haul transit (in ly or
>in parsecs)

FB gives a max of 1 jump per 6 hours with military hardware. Average the
shorter jumps closer to a system and the longer ones in deep space, and
would guess an average of 1 LY per jump.

This would give 4 LY per day if you were pushing it. 28 LY per week
would
thus probably not be sustainable. I'd say 20 LY per week would be the
maximum sustainable, with 24-5 being the max.

>2) Average speed of a civilian ship over a long haul transit (ditto)

Assume the same distances, but longer time, FB says only 1 jump per day
for
civies. That gives 1 LY per day, or 7 LY per week. I'd call it 6 LY per
week sustainable.

>3) Best speed of a military ship (in ly or parsecs)

See above: 24-5 LY per week.

>4) Best speed of a civilian ship (ditto)

I'd say 10 LY per week.

>5) How long can the "best speed" be maintained

1 week (maybe 2, but that seems an extreme amount of time to deal with a
constant hangover).

>6) What are the ramifications of pushing this "best speed" period

Crew fatigue. Could be represented by -1 to all rolls (6 still gives 2
and
a re-roll, however).

>7) How much time (in hours or days) should one add at either end of the
>transit for transit from Jump Frontier to typical habitable planet (a
>range of values would do here) for a military vessel (if the eq'n be
>based on thrust, then feel free to suggest for T-2, T-4 and T-6
>formations).

I'm not sure how important this is, but just for laughs, 24 hours / Ship
Thrust Rating.

>8) Ditto for civilian ships. (Perhaps they have exactly the same times
>in and out, sheerly based on thrust - or perhaps they 'take it easy' to
>spare the drives and any passengers).

That works for military and civilian.

Schoon

Prev: Re: Transport capacities Next: [OT]Geo-Hex Terrain for SG and DS