Prev: Re: How big is a troopship? [DS/FT/SG2] (and what it all means) Next: Commo Traffic and Direction Finding...

Re: How big is a troopship? [DS/FT/SG2] (and what it all means)

From: Los <los@c...>
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 1999 20:45:10 -0400
Subject: Re: How big is a troopship? [DS/FT/SG2] (and what it all means)

Ryan M Gill wrote:

> On Fri, 24 Sep 1999, Los wrote:
>
> > Even in Power armor? I bet PA heavyweapons already weigh big.
>
> How many reloads are you going to carry? Each warhead is 51 lbs. Add
the
> motor and guidance.

WHat you don't think standard SG PA can't carry a 4 round Nuke MLP like
it's
a wooden broom? Ever see one of those figures?

> Also, my big question with Battle field nukes, a single grunt with a
nuke
> isn't the greatest idea in my mind. Battalion is pretty tight with
copper
> heads, how do you think they'd be about handing out a nuke to every
other
> trooper.

You seem to completely rooted in historical analogy. Battalions used to
be
pretty analy tight with night vision goggles too back in the early
eighties.
Now ten years later every private in the 82d is issued a pair. It's
useful up
to  a point but how about thinking on future operations and the physical
environment of future equipment and technology along with these
analogies?
Who cares how many  PA guys carry nukes or what. At least in our little
GZG
SG2 universe, power armor troops are considered elite expensive assets.
Second why assume every nuke is this huge yield weapon. It only has to
be
more powerful than a conventional equivalent. I'd see these things as
being
clean and low yield. .3 kiloton or less. Enough to ruin something's day.
ANd
if people are going to cruise around in unsecured territory and hug
landers
sure a small nuke would be worth a battalion of invaders. Obviously this
is
driven by political issues also, but then again given the cleanliness of
nukes or some other cleaner high yield (antimatter?) weaponry, maybe
not.

Prev: Re: How big is a troopship? [DS/FT/SG2] (and what it all means) Next: Commo Traffic and Direction Finding...