Prev: Re: How big is a troopship? [DS/FT/SG2] (and what it all means) Next: Re: Shoulder launched nukes?

Re: How big is a troopship? [DS/FT/SG2] (and what it all means)

From: Los <los@c...>
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 1999 20:18:54 -0400
Subject: Re: How big is a troopship? [DS/FT/SG2] (and what it all means)

> > feet was the estimated accuracy from one example I recall. Ortillery
> > is likely to be much more accurate, and significantly more powerful
> > than 2000 lbs of HE.

See I assume the opposite. Land based fire support will be more accurate
than
Ortillery. (though not necessarily more powerful) Just the nature of the
beast.
It's very easy to overestimate the effectiveness of firepower. (even
precision
directed and guided) A mistake that has been made in all of history
right up to
a few months ago.

> Your guy in the bunker better use a land line and some pretty nicely
> shielded commo gear if he chats with anyone...

Assume that is standard SOP.

> .50 BMG us really an "anti-material" round. Not really for "personell"
> sniper work..."not really"...There are a bunch of really nice .50
rifles
> out there. Barret was the first big maker, Later came the Marine
> requested McMillan Brothers .50 tactical rifle. There are Auto
Loaders,
> bolt action single shots, and all those in between (5 or 10 round
mags).

> Range is generally 1000 yards for a man sized target. Further for
material.

BTW I recently fired a barrets at a weapons train up in Virginia. Quite
an
experience. I was hitting man sized targets ouit to 1200m single shot
(my
previous record with 7.62mm M24 was 900.)  One problem with eth barrets.
It's
too freaking heavy to be of much use in any but the most unusual
circumsances.
(too bad I don't have PA.) It was almost as much fun as watching one
dragon
round go ballistic ansd seeing the other explode at minimum safe arming
distance (under 65m)

Los

Prev: Re: How big is a troopship? [DS/FT/SG2] (and what it all means) Next: Re: Shoulder launched nukes?