Prev: Re: [FT] Vector vs. cinematic; air vs. naval Next: Re: [FT] Vector vs. cinematic; convoy raids

Re: [FT] Vector vs. cinematic; air vs. naval

From: "On the other hand, you have different fingers." <KOCHTE@s...>
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 1999 12:05:57 -0500 (EST)
Subject: Re: [FT] Vector vs. cinematic; air vs. naval

Chip Dunning pens:

[...]
>    I believe what FT needs are methods used for fleet defense. Screens
>protect individual ships, but there seems to be no way to extend
protection
>beyond your own ship (except against fighters) - which is exactly what
>escort was designed to accomplish.
>    Against fighters/missiles you have ADFC-PDS/C-batteries - so this
is
>well covered within 6". That leaves nova/wave cannons, torpedoes, and
beam
>batteries. Personally, I think Nova/Wave cannons are so over the top
that I
>like the fact that they cannot be intercepted or really stopped.
>    For the torpedoes I cannot believe you cannot use the same
>anti-fighter/anti-missile guns against a energy torpedo.

If you consider that fighters and missiles are hard-materials, vs a
torpedo
which, as you say, is made of energy, I can see where
anti-fighter/missile
defenses wouldn't be able to stop a ball of energy.

>I figure I am just
>missing the rules somewhere. Therefore I will tackle what I see to be
the
>big problem - beam batteries. I believe that there needs to be system
of
>anti-beam defense.

Ummm...there are: screens (level-1 and level-2). These reduce the
effectiveness
of beams fairly well.

And armour will stop beams and torpedos (if momentarily).

Mk
...__
McCoy: "Angry, Mr Spock? Or frustrated, perhaps?"

Spock: "Such emotions are foreign to me. I am merely testing the
strength
  of the door."

McCoy: "For the 15th time?"
				 - ST:TOS, 'Bread & Circuses'

Prev: Re: [FT] Vector vs. cinematic; air vs. naval Next: Re: [FT] Vector vs. cinematic; convoy raids