Prev: Re: Concertina Wire, Camo Netting, Barbed Wire in 25mm Next: RE: SG non penetrating hits on size two and above vehicles

Re: Search for historical presence: Small vessels and the Wall or Line of Battle

From: Alan E and Carmel J Brain <aebrain@d...>
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 1999 16:07:06 +1000
Subject: Re: Search for historical presence: Small vessels and the Wall or Line of Battle

Thomas Barclay wrote:

> As part of an on-going discussion of the efficacy of smaller units
> (DDs, FFs) at a Wall of Battle meeting, I am searching for historical
> antecedents to this type of action.
>
> I assume that in historical times (WWI, WW2, modern, other times), the
> Line of Battle has fought with smaller vessels. I am interested in any
> information regarding these events, such as dates, places, and brief
> recountings of the events.

In just about the last time an IJN major surface unit sortied, on 15 May
1945 A group of 2000t british destroyers hunted and killed a Japanese
Heavy cruiser in a classic action in the Malacca straits. More details
after I look them up.

Taffy 3 - in the action off Samar (Leyte Gulf Oct 1944), there was a
screw-up and a large Japanese Battleforce, consisting of Capital Ships
and their escorts, ran in to the invasion cover force of "Jeep"
carriers, destroyers and frigates.
The carriers ran at best speed (not fast) while the "small boys"
ferociously attacked the battleline, though heavily outnumbered even by
the Japanese small stuff.
The Japanese withdrew after doing relatively little damage, as they
couldn't believe the USN small vessels were attacking without support.

See On-line book about this:
http://www.escortcarriers.org/bosamar/bosintro.html

--
	      http://www2.dynamite.com.au/aebrain