Prev: Re: Spooks in Red Re: Terrain - Chenille? Next: Re: [FT] Re: Small vessels and the Line of Battle

Re: [FT] Re: Small vessels and the Line of Battle

From: Ryan M Gill <monty@a...>
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 1999 15:43:45 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: Re: [FT] Re: Small vessels and the Line of Battle

On Wed, 15 Sep 1999, Imre A. Szabo wrote:

> I think you guys are missing the point.  Space combat has been best
compared to
> submarine combat.  Why?  You are completely submerged in a hostile
environment.
> Space is not a benign environment.  There are radical temperature
variations, hard
> radiation, etc.  Space ships are not going to be any more survivable
then surface
> navy ships.

Granted it is a hostile environment.
However, submarines will sink if a portion of their internal mass
becomes
flooded. See the Squalus.

A Space craft that is holed in 50% of its internal volume is still able
do function fine depending on the damage. It is easier to operate at
zero
pressure than it is to operate at 6 atmospheres or more. 33 feet of
depth under water is 2 atmospheres of pressure absolute, Sea level is
one
atmosphere. 66 feet of depth under water is 3 atmospheres of pressure
absolute.

Said space craft will still be able to operate and fight.
Compartments not holed will be a refuge for crew to doff suits and areas

that are not pressurized will requre space suits. You can't tell me that

by 2100 we won't have better material to make space suit gloves out of.

A sub or ship that looses close to 50% of its internal volume to
flooding
is going to the bottom. It will not operate in that form in any
conceivable form.

Computer systems can operate fine in a vacum if designed for it. Its a
minimal (compared to hardening/pressuresealing) amount of change design
wise. If a space craft has a fire, one way to fight the fire is to vent
the compartment. Flood a computer compartment with water and its going
be nonfunctional.

- Ryan Montieth Gill		DoD# 0780 (Smug #1) / AMA / SOHC -
- ryan.gill@turner.com	    I speak not for CNN, nor they for me -
- rmgill@mindspring.com 	     www.mindspring.com/~rmgill/ -
- '85 Honda CB700S  -  '72 Honda CB750K  - '76 Chevy MonteCarlo  -

Prev: Re: Spooks in Red Re: Terrain - Chenille? Next: Re: [FT] Re: Small vessels and the Line of Battle