Prev: Re: Simple System Thrust (Campaign) Next: Re: [FT] Re: Small vessels and the Line of Battle

Re: [FT] Re: Small vessels and Line of Battle

From: "Oerjan Ohlson" <oerjan.ohlson@t...>
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 1999 19:44:21 +0200
Subject: Re: [FT] Re: Small vessels and Line of Battle

Michael Llaneza wrote:

> Lets see, Destroyers... Well, first of all the threat of torpedo
> attack is very legitimate, and the effect of rapid fire 5 and 6 inch
> guns at short does count for something (cf Second Battle of
> Guadalcanal).

> Destroyers can also counter enemy torpedo attacks,

Ie, destroy enemy strike craft before they can reach the own heavies.
Doesn't work that well in FT, since the screen needs to go out to meet
the enemy strike craft to do its job and that usually puts it within
range of the enemy heavies :-(

> provide AA fire and ASW support,

In FB1 terms PDS with ADFC. Works OK, though I tend to use cruisers for
this role instead (more PDS per ADFC).

> lay smoke screens,

Sounds rather implausible in space (*huge* chaff packs, anyone?) :-/

> operate independantly, search,

Works, but only if there are missions they can carry out independently
*and* which can be used for scenarios. Sure, scouting missions are
vitally important, but I sure as hell won't game out a 4-month system
patrol in FT :-/

>  make flank attacks,

Works, as long as they are high-enough thrust and the enemies aren't.
It's no fun trying to flank someone only to find out that their heavies
are as maneuverable as your small fry. (OTOH it's a lot of fun to
inflict it on your opponent <g>)

> rescue survivors, detach to send
> message to avoid revealing the main forces' location or courier an
> important message, land supplies...

All of these are non-combat missions (unless someone attack you) which
apply in campaigns but not in one-off battles. Even if you design a
scenario around one of these missions, a big ship would have a better
chance to actually execute its orders than a small ones (due to its
higher survivability) IF it is available - which it usually isn't in a
campaign.

Later,

Oerjan Ohlson
oerjan.ohlson@telia.com

"Life is like a sewer.
- Hen3ry

Prev: Re: Simple System Thrust (Campaign) Next: Re: [FT] Re: Small vessels and the Line of Battle