Prev: Re: [FT] Re: Small vessels and the Line of Battle Next: Re: Small ships and Wall of Battle

RE: [FT] Re: Small vessels and the Line of Battle

From: Mike Wikan <MWikan@m...>
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 1999 17:47:50 -0700
Subject: RE: [FT] Re: Small vessels and the Line of Battle

I have to agree with Mr. Pournelle. The torpedo is HUGELY effective.
they
did very large amounts of damage and were surprisingly accurate. During
the
Solomons campaign, a spread of Japanes long lance 21" unguided torpedoes
hit
a US destroyer group at 12 miles, sinking one and damaging two others.
Most
ship kills in WWII were Torpedo kills either by Aircraft, ships or
Submarines.

Japanese
> inflicted incredible casualties to American ships in Night Torpedo
Attacks