Prev: [OT]: Roughnecks - SST Animation Next: RE: [FT] Re: Small vessels and the Line of Battle

Re: [FT] Re: Small vessels and the Line of Battle

From: "Phillip Pournelle" <emisle@e...>
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 1999 20:31:33 -0400
Subject: Re: [FT] Re: Small vessels and the Line of Battle

>If you think about it, the "wet navy" torpedos don't do all that much
>actual damage to a "wet navy" ship.
>All it takes is a small hole to sink a "wet navy" ship.  In space, a
>small hole may kill a few unprotected
>crew, but otherwise will do nothing to the functioning of the ship.
>Unless it hits some equipment or the bridge...
>
>Donald Hosford

    As a Naval Officer and a weapons person, I must strongly disagree
with
this statement.  Torpedoes are deadly weapons.	The Destroyer came from
"Torpedo Boat Destroyers"  Whose job it was to screen out small & fast
torpedo boats that could sink a battleship.  In World War II the
Japanese
inflicted incredible casualties to American ships in Night Torpedo
Attacks
(Captain Hughes USN-R 1999).  The Mark 48 ADCAP torpedo is well known as
ship killer today and during the FAlklands war the General Belgrano was
sunk
by single kingfish torpedo....

Prev: [OT]: Roughnecks - SST Animation Next: RE: [FT] Re: Small vessels and the Line of Battle