Prev: Re: SGII Newbie Question Next: Re: SGII Newbie Question

Re: SGII Newbie Question

From: agoodall@i... (Allan Goodall)
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 1999 02:29:03 GMT
Subject: Re: SGII Newbie Question

On Sun, 12 Sep 1999 00:48:09 EDT, UsClintons@aol.com wrote:

>But mainly humans and orcs should differ on more basic psychological
levels
>IMHO.	I mainly trying to model a different race's psychology and
trying to
>give them a different 'flavor'.  I REALLY don't want orcs to be just
"green
>space troopers".

I've run GW based SG2 games myself. I gave the orks 8 "ork" squads and
regularly had the firepower go over the D12 limit. This, I found, wasn't
problem. First, there's the assumption that with large squads good fire
control is more difficult and thus large numbers of troops will be
harder to
co-ordinate.

But there's a second, more interesting thing that happens. I found that
smaller squads were at a disadvantage already. The way the system works
large
squads soak up a lot of casualties before getting a degredation in
firepower.
Okay, your system handles that, but also the unit has to take a lot of
casualties before it hits the magic "more than half of the squad in
casualties" mark for a major morale check.

I found against 8 ork squads, 5 man marine squads were at a big
disadvantage.
The orks took essentially one or two blows without their firepower being
affected. The marines couldn't.

I'd be hesitant to do what you do simply because I worry about the game
balance ramifications.

Allan Goodall		       agoodall@interlog.com
Goodall's Grotto: http://www.interlog.com/~agoodall/

Prev: Re: SGII Newbie Question Next: Re: SGII Newbie Question