Prev: RE: [FT] PSB and Turn Length and [OT] World Sci Fi Con comments Next: Re: Stellardyne Minis Was: Space Above and Beyond GZG conversions

Re: FB small carrier construction

From: Roger Books <books@m...>
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 1999 08:43:12 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: Re: FB small carrier construction

On  9-Sep-99 at 21:24, Aaron Teske (ateske@HICom.net) wrote:

> At 10:02 AM 9/9/99 -0400, Roger Books wrote:
> >In our current campaign our maintenance cost is:
> >
> >(mass*.06)**1.6
> >
> >microcarriers are a godsend, with big planets producing around 100NPV
> >a turn one of the big FSE carriers can eat the production of a planet
> >in maintenance.
>
> Out of curiosity, how did you come up with *those* numbers???

Let's see.

We wanted to encourage smaller ships, otherwise each side would
have a few big ships.  We still wanted big ships possible though,
so we set the biggest ship (the FSE supercarrier) to cost around
100 to maintain, 100 being our chosen output for an average world
on a turn.

One of my gaming group was big on the **1.6 (golden ratio I believe),
and the 0.06 kind of fell out from there.

If anyone is interested I could post our current campaign rules
and people could pick them apart.  We have added things like a
flag bridge and admirals (an admiral may command a fleet with a
certain mass, we do not use fleet morale UNLESS there is no admiral
or the fleet is too big).

I should point out something about our game, mostly we play at
work over lunch, so things were written into our campaign system
to attempt to limit the size of battles.  You could easily tweak
a few numbers and have much larger games.

Roger Books