Prev: RE: Space Above and Beyond GZG conversions Next: RE: Space Above and Beyond GZG conversions

Re: [FT] Jump Limits

From: "Christopher K Smith" <smithck@m...>
Date: Thu, 9 Sep 1999 10:24:47 -0500
Subject: Re: [FT] Jump Limits

> Forgive me for being biased but I really like the notion of being able
> jump practically anywhere insystem but because of the disturbance to
normal
> space from the transition to FTL and back special sensors will pick
this
up
> and alert they defenders to where you've emerged.

> Dan

I agree with this viewpoint.  You could make it a little easier for the
defenders by making FTL less than instantaneous.  This is kind of what
Timothy Zahn used in his Conqueror(sp?) books.	An FTL ship generated a
"tachyon wave" that was detectable well before the ship arrived, giving
the
defender time to get prepared.	I think the major planets had specific
"vectors" that ships come come insystem on and anything not on one of
the
vectors was considered hostile.

So you could say for every light year away a ship is from its target it
would take a certain amount of time in FTL to arrive.  The arrival
vector
could be determined by its departure vector.  On a flat hex map, a ship
could enter the target hex from the same hex face that it left from.
The
defenders could pick up the wave front of the FTL ship immediately but
would
not be able to tell the exact target hex until the ship was closer.  Or
something like that.

Christopher K Smith
03ME Auburn University
Homepage http://www.auburn.edu/~smithck
FT-PBEM http://www.auburn.edu/~smithck/ft.html

Prev: RE: Space Above and Beyond GZG conversions Next: RE: Space Above and Beyond GZG conversions