Prev: [FT] Jump Limits Next: RE: [OT] World Sci Fi Con comments

RE: [FT] Jump Limits

From: Daniel Cleyne <DCleyne@c...>
Date: Thu, 9 Sep 1999 21:40:44 +1000
Subject: RE: [FT] Jump Limits

	>the Oort or Kuiper belt? Something like 100 AU out?

	I'd think 100 would make for a map rather larger than would
	be convenient?

Its horses for courses....
Renegade legion allows you to enter anywhere so long is its not inside a
body although your entry velocity and direction is pre determined by
where
you jumped from and how fast you made the transition.
Battletech also allows you to jump anywhere but "sensible" pilots jump
well
clear of the solar plane

So long as the ships shields/protection can shed the vast amounts of
radiation, they should be able to jump anywhere within a couple of
diameters
to any body including the systems star(s). IIRC the Tuffleyverse has
static
jumps and therefore any vector must be generated after the jump is
completed. Anyone with the rules handy can correct me on that. So I
don't
see why an inbound force couldn't jump "inside" the targets orbit and
attack
from the "rear".

As an aside, merchant shipping would have a hell of a time carrying out
commerce if they have to vector in from Earth from Saturn everytime they
jump insystem. Instant FTL transition followed by 3 months burn time to
achieve docking at an earth orbit station could be very tedious. Not
only
that it would make them _very_ easy targets for pirates unless under
strong
escort....

Forgive me for being biased but I really like the notion of being able
jump practically anywhere insystem but because of the disturbance to
normal
space from the transition to FTL and back special sensors will pick this
up
and alert they defenders to where you've emerged.

I guess for flavour you could also add that the closer you jump to a
gravity
well, the more likely you are to mis-jump and the incoming force
scatter.

Dan

Prev: [FT] Jump Limits Next: RE: [OT] World Sci Fi Con comments