Prev: Re: [FT] Strategic Thrust Next: Talk to me John D

RE: [FT] Strategic Thrust

From: Daniel Cleyne <DCleyne@c...>
Date: Wed, 8 Sep 1999 15:01:23 +1000
Subject: RE: [FT] Strategic Thrust

> >Cut to the chase:
> >How far out should the Jump Limit be for Sol?  Please vote
> >using AU (not , for example, "in the Oort Cloud").
>
> 11 sounds fine for Sol. 22 hex diameter. KISS.

	I like the Traveller New Era take on this where each star had 20
"zones" (40 in diameter)

	Each zone covers an exponentially larger area but then the
further
from the habitable zone you are in a system, the less interesting things
are
likely to be happening anyway.

	If each star has a constant 20 radius of zones you could figure
out,
per star, what its jump limit would be as a zone number. For instance
Sols
might be "Zone 7" and Betelgeuse might be "Zone 11". With consistent
system
maps its easier to track things in a campaign. With real star data it is
easy to calculate what the characteristics of a zone would be
	ie "Inside Star", "Inner", "Habitable", "Outer" by assigning a
Bode
Constant to the star.

	Mapping this back to a hex map would just mean using hex "rings"
instead of circles.

	Dan

Prev: Re: [FT] Strategic Thrust Next: Talk to me John D